Monday, December 23, 2013

An Adventure

"Indeed for your old grandfather Took's sake, and for the sake of poor Belladonna, I will give you what you asked for."

"I beg your pardon, I haven't asked you for anything!"

"Yes, you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it you. In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you--and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it."

The Hobbit



I woke up this morning feeling kind of excited for the first time in a good long while.

It's been a rough semester. I took on too much, then had to find the time and energy and willpower to complete all of it. And I managed. I didn't always manage well, which makes me sad. There's nothing I dread more than disappointing people, and I think I managed to mildly disappoint a lot of people over the course of the semester. But I worked hard all four months. I accomplished a lot. I created a plan of attack and at least one paper of which I am very proud. And it's over.

The last official day of the semester was Friday. And here I am, on Monday morning, finally realizing that yes, I am free. I did it. It's over. And I can finally spare the time and energy to be excited about my next adventure.

I'm really, in the immediate future, going to London.

It's the day before Christmas Eve today . . . December sure does fly past when you've got deadlines looming. Christmas with my family is, in my opinion, the best thing in all the world. My parents never actually grew up. They fake it pretty well most of the time, but in late December the charade breaks down. (My mom claims that she misses the years when all us kids were small and cute, but I've observed her to be much happier and less stressed now that we're all old enough to not knock over the Christmas tree or throw fits in public or otherwise cause Christmas chaos.)

It's really Christmas. I can really breathe again.

So I have roughly a week to wallow in doing nothing but enjoying myself with my family and my friends. And then I'll take off on the first stage of my four-month saga: a standby flight to New York City, where I'll have some time (anywhere from one to three days, depending on when I actually fly) to kick around the Big Apple at its loveliest season.

Over the course of my adventures (which will include AT LEAST adventures in NYC, Dublin, London, Edinburgh, and Paris), I'm hoping to use this blog to allow all my dear friends and family the chance to live this vicariously. So expect lots of stories and pictures. Hold me accountable to my New Year's Resolution of working on my thesis for 15 min. every day. Give me recommendations and requests. And hang on, because this is gonna be CRAZY cool.

Allons-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment